We don’t necessarily have taco’s every Tuesday… but we do have them one night out of every week! Taco’s happen to be one of my favourite foods. ..My mouth is seriously watering as I am looking at the above picture and writing about them..
My hubby makes beans about once a week, so that we can have homemade beans in the fridge. They are so simple to make, and are such a great staple to have in the fridge for a vegetarian diet. This time he made red kidney beans, which are an excellent bean to make into refried beans for tacos and burritos! Simply put beans in a large pot with water over them (1-2 inches above), and boil them until they are soft. They will keep in the fridge for about a week. To make refried beans, I heat up a teaspoon of coconut oil on a pan, add the desired amount of cooked beans to the pan and mash them down with a fork. As they begin to heat up, add 2-3 tablespoons of water and continue stirring. Season with a sprinkle of garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper. Easy!
Taco’s are sooooo versatile you can literally add whatever it is you like. No two taco Tuesdays are the same 🙂
These are just simple and satisfying fillings that I love, but feel free to fill your tacos with whatever you like!
Tacos are such a staple in our house that we eat them at least once a week. The homemade refried beans in them are filling and super simple to make!
- Refried Beans, canned or homemade
- 6 Taco Shells, hard/soft/whatever you like
- 1 C Brown Rice, cooked
- 1 Tomato
- 1/2 Jalapeno
- 1/4 White Onion, diced
- 1/4 C Cilantro, finely minced
- 1 Lime
- Sharp White Cheddar or daiya chesse, grated
- 1 Avocado
- Hot Sauce, optional
- Prepare homemade salsa by dicing up tomato, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro, put everything in a medium bowl. Then squeeze juice of half the lime over the cut up veggies and stir everything together.
- Heat up beans in a sauce pan.
- Grate Cheese.
- Start assembling tacos, sprinkle a bit of cheese on bottom of taco shell, 2-3 spoonfuls of beans and some rice, then a spoonful of avocado and your homemade salsa. Top off with hot sauce and a squeeze of lime.
What are your favourite taco fillings?