Ah yes, yet another healthy muffin recipe. I can’t get enough of muffins. Every other week I get a new craving for a different muffin. This time it was for a healthy millet muffin with an added crunch… so I added pumpkin seeds!! The pumpkin seeds add the perfect crunchy texture to the muffins along with the millet that pops in your mouth. Eaten fresh out the oven, I slathered on vegan butter and creamed honey… YUM!!!
Millet Muffins with Pumpkin Seeds
These millet and pumpkin seed muffins are healthy and delicious, best eaten fresh out the oven they will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Makes: 12 muffins
- 2 C Spelt Flour
- 1/3 C Millet, lightly toasted
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 C Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax seeds
- 1 C Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 C Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/2 C Pumpkin Seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix ground flax seeds with 2 Tablespoons of warm water, mix and set aside to form into flax eggs.
- Heat a cast iron pan up on medium heat, add millet to pan and lightly toast for about 5 minutes, making sure to stir every minute so it doesn’t burn.
- While the millet is toasting, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar to a large mixing bowl and stir together.
- When millet is done, add to flour mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl pour milk into bowl and freshly squeezed lemon juice. DO NOT STIR. Allowing milk and lemon juice to sit will make buttermilk.
- On the same pan that you toasted the millet, add the coconut oil to melt. Once melted, using a pastry brush, lightly brush your muffin pan with the oil.
- Add the flax-seed mixture, and vanilla to the butter milk and lightly stir together. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and begin to gently stir together. before it is completely stirred together add in the oil and the pumpkin seeds. Mix all together until well incorporated.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Best eaten fresh out the oven!
What is your favourite muffin recipe?