I can remember loooong ago my mom cooking eggplant in the kitchen.. I think she was frying it on a cast iron pan… and I can remember refusing to eat it.. or even try it. Now just in the past few years I have tried it in different dishes.. sometimes liking it… others times..not-so-much. It has an acquired taste and texture, and needs to be cooked right and seasoned very well.. or hidden inside a dish.
The eggplant in this dish is used in place of the lasagna noodles. It has a similar texture as the noodles would, and the vegan ricotta filling and tomato sauce give it an extra flavour boost to make the dish delicious!
I have to say.. just as I can remember my mom saying ‘just give it a try’! I did the same to my oldest son… and he spat it out. hahaha. Must run in the family. No doubt I will make another dish with eggplant someday.. and try again. At least if they try it.. that’s all I care about. Try everything, and if you don’t like it, that’s okay.. but at least you tried it!
Vegan Lasagna Eggplant Rolls
- 2 Eggplants, sliced into 6 thin slices
- 3/4 350g block of extra firm or pressed tofu, drained and placed between paper towel with cast iron on top to press out excess water
- 3 small lemons, juiced
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 C fresh herbs, whatever your choice (basil, parsley, oregano)
- 1 Tbsp dried Oregano
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 C tomato sauce, use either a simple jar sauce or homemade
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Very lightly oil 1-2 baking sheets and set aside.
- Thinly slice eggplant length wise, slicing off top, bottom and sides, so there is inner flesh on all sides of the slices.
- Salt all the pieces of eggplant and place in a colander in the sink. This will suck excess water from the eggplant. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse eggplant slices and place on a paper towel, and another paper towel on top. Place a baking sheet on top with a cast iron to press out the water for about 5 minutes.
- Lay eggplant slices in an even layer on baking sheets. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- While eggplant is baking prepare filling: Add tofu, lemon juice, yeast, herbs, oil and salt and pepper to a food processor and process until mixture becomes smooth.
- When eggplant is finished, remove from oven and allow to cool. Lower oven from 425 down to 375 degrees.
- Using a square deep baking dish, add one cup of the tomato sauce to bottom of the dish and spread evenly around.
- Taking one piece of eggplant at a time, scoop a large spoonful of the filling onto the slice of the eggplant, roll it up and place it seem down onto the tomato sauce. Continue until all the eggplant pieces are used up. Pour the remaining tomato sauce down the center of the rolls and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes.
- Serve with a side salad and enjoy!
How do YOU feel about eggplant? Leave it in the comments below!