There’s almost nothing that I love more (to eat) than Peanut Butter. If we have run out in the house or I haven’t eaten it in a few days, I crave it! I’m not sure what exactly it is about the delicious snack, but as far as I can remember I was always a peanut butter addict. When I was pregnant with my first son, every. single. day I ate peanut butter, honey and banana on toast. I have always absolutely loved this snack, (and it’s one of my boy’s favourites!) but I especially craved it while pregnant.
These cookies are the perfect marriage of peanut butter and chocolate, another classic combination, in a cookie. I usually bake and cook exclusively with spelt flour, but feel free to use whatever flour you like. The almond meal adds an extra crunch and a hint of almond flavour to the cookies. I ended up doubling the recipe, as 1 batch of cookies just never seems to last long enough around here!! With 3 boys in the house (4 including the cat) food goes really quickly in this house.. they don’t do much else except eat, run around, jump, eat more, play sports, fight, eat, fart, yell and then eat more. So the recipe works perfectly to be doubled if you want to make a double batch as well.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
These small round peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are heavenly. They are chewy on the inside and just the perfect crispiness on the outside.
Makes: 20-25 small cookies
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 1/4 C Earth Balance Butter (or regular butter.. whatever you are into)
- 1/4 C Peanut Butter
- 1/2 C Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 C Spelt Flour
- 1/2 C Slivered Almonds, blended into almond flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Pink Salt
- 1/3 C Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the ground flaxseed with 3 Tbsp of warm water in a small bowl and allow to sit for a few minutes to create a flax egg.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the butter and peanut butter together, using electric mixers, mix until they are well incorporated together.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and flaxseed mixture to the bowl and mix.
- Start adding the remaining dry ingredients one at a time, gently mixing all the ingredients together.
- Last fold in the chocolate chips.
- Then taking small amounts of the dough into your hands, roll small balls and place onto the prepared cookie sheet. Then gently press down on the top of the ball.
- Repeat until all the dough is rolled and placed onto the cookie sheet.
- Put into oven and bake for 14 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the sheet for at least 5 minutes. The cookies will firm up while cooling, so do not touch!
What is your favourite Peanut Butter recipe?