Who doesn’t LOVE pizza?? It is one of the most comforting well appreciated foods! and always well received by kids at dinner time. I just have a hard time ordering pizza out of a box and giving it to my kiddies for dinner very often.. Yes they would prefer it over ‘moms healthy crust pizza’… but it just means they get pizza more often! it’s really a win win.
I make their half how they like it; pepperoni, cheese and pineapple! (sometimes I will swap out real pepperoni for a veggie kind and they don’t even notice sshh!). Then I do our half with whatever toppings we have, this time it was: sun-dried tomatoes, olives, pineapple, mixed bell peppers, caramelized onions, dried figs, fresh oregano, spinach, daiya cheese and a tomato sauce base (pic at bottom). It is pizza heaven… Vegetarian pizza heaven.
This dough is a thin crunchy crust. Not like the traditional light and fluffy or chewy crusts. The spelt flour and flax seeds makes you feel satisfied instead of bloated. I literally see what we have in the fridge and throw on what veggies need to be eaten and whatever else will go. I love mediterranean flavours, so most of my pizzas always end up with olives, a variety of whatever veggies we have, caramelized onions, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Super Simple Pizza Dough w/ Spelt and Flax
This pizza dough recipe is my go-to recipe whenever it’s pizza night. It’s super healthy, thin-crust and can be topped with anything that your pizza lovin’ heart desires!!
- 1.5 C Spelt Flour
- 1/2 C Ground Flax Seeds
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 C Water
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a large baking sheet or large round pizza pan, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, ground flax-seed and salt, then mix
- Pour the water, olive oil and maple syrup into a smaller bowl and mix together.
- Gently pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and with a fork start to fold the ingredients until they start to come together.
- With lightly oiled hands, begin to fold the mixture together with your hands until it forms a dough.
- Then place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and start to knead the dough outwards so that it covers the pan in a thin layer. Using a fork poke the fork into the dough all over, to allow steam to come through.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until it is a nice golden brown colour.
- Allow to slightly cool, then add whatever pizza toppings you like and return to oven at 500 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Voila! Easy, healthy and delicious pizza!!
What are your favourite pizza toppings?