Happy Spring!!With this time of year comes warmer weather, lots and lots of flowers, and of course spring cleaning!!!! Which is actually kind of my favourite part.. I LOVE de-cluttering, getting rid of things we don’t need and deep cleaning around the house. Throughout the winter certain things just don’t get done and as soon as the spring weather comes, NOW is the time to do them. The deep cleaning is so important because things around the house, that we might not see, can cause us harm or be pretty gross if left too long. Things like dust mites, mold and asbestos. Asbestos can be found in many household items including insulation, drywall, flooring and ceiling tiles. If it’s disrupted and airborne or ingested, asbestos particles can potentially cause a rare cancer called mesothelioma. This is why it’s so important to do spring cleaning! I start by making a list on my handy white board in the kitchen of the things I want to get done. I open all the windows, put on some good music and get down to cleaning.
Here are a few tips and tricks for my spring cleaning:
- One of the first things I do when spring cleaning, is check all the windows for mold build-up. Throughout the winter, there’s not much air circulation that goes on in the house, so month after month green-y black mold starts to grow on the inside of the windows. I check and clean our windows once during winter then again now in the spring time. White vinegar is your best friend when it comes to spring cleaning. White vinegar helps in so many ways, but I especially use it when cleaning the mold from the windows. I use the vinegar (without being watered down) and a cloth to clean all the edges of the windows and window sills. Allow the vinegar to sit and air dry. This will help to kill the mold and keep your windows clean.
- Another thing that builds up through the loooooong winter months is .. dust! It seems to be everywhere! One big job that I think is so important to making your house feel really clean is moving beds, dressers and furniture and getting a good vacuum under and behind the large furniture where dust likes to hide.
- One bad thing about the sun coming out ….. is the sunshine shows everything you need to clean!! We have white kitchen cupboards, so every speck of dust and dirt, and every splash of water shows up as the sun is shinning. For this I like to use a natural spray cleaner. I use an all-purpose concentrate that you mix with water in a spray bottle. Some of my favourites are: Mrs. Meyer’s , Sapadilla all-purpose cleaner, or plain old vinegar and water.
- Fresh air and sunshine is sometimes the best thing to make your inside of your house feel fresh. Simply hanging your bedding on the clothesline for a few hours and putting your pillows outside to give them fresh air helps to bring the spring scents indoors.
- The last big job on my list is deep bathroom cleaning. Taking everything out the drawers and cupboard that has accumulated over time and getting rid of old products and wiping down the inside drawers is something I really like to do every spring, making it feel less cluttered and extra clean!
Hope these Spring cleaning tips helped! What are some of your spring cleaning chores you are doing this spring?