Bananas are always going brown around our house, we usually get quite a few bunches of bananas at once. After sitting on the counter for a while ripening, I fill containers to pop in the freezer for frozen bananas, but also love using the ripe bananas for baking. These particular muffins I’ve made many many times as they are well received by little hungry tummy’s. They are the perfect grab-and-go snack. The mini chocolate chips are scattered all throughout the muffin, so every bite you take has plenty chocolate pieces.
I have been baking with Spelt Flour for well over a year now, and really don’t use any other flours when baking or cooking anymore. If using a recipe, I substitute for spelt flour with the same measurement. Although spelt flour is said to not rise the same as a white or whole wheat flour, I still find that everything turns out moist, flavourful and delicious.
Banana Chocolate Chip Spelt Muffins
These muffins, like most, are best fresh out the oven. Still warm and with the mini chocolate chips melting as you bite into them.
- 2 C Spelt Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 C Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 RIPE Bananas
- 1/2 C Almond Milk
- 3/4 C Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1/2 C Mini Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 C Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and stir together.
- Heat a sauce pan on medium heat on the stove. Add coconut oil to the pan to melt. Once the oil has melted, using a pastry brush, lightly oil your muffin pan. Set the remaining oil to the side.
- Peel your bananas and add to a smaller mixing bowl. Mash bananas until they are a creamy consistency. Add the milk, sugar and vanilla to the bananas and stir all together.
- Add the chocolate chips and walnuts to the flour mixture.
- Then add the wet banana mixture to the dry ingredients and gently start stirring together. Add in the coconut oil and fold all the ingredients together until all the ingredients is well incorporated.
- Spoon even portions of the mixture into the muffin pan. Place the pan in the oven and cook muffins for 16-18 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 1o minutes.