It finally feels like spring around here! We live on the West Coast of Canada, and winter here is nothing but rain, rain, rain, and more rain. By this time of year, these sunny days are a reminder of what is coming… Glorious sunshine and springtime weather!! The sunshine gives me an unexpected burst of energy! all I want to do is clean, organize and de-clutter!! There never seems to be enough hours in a day to get everything you want done, but just starting is key!! Doing little bits when you can find the time… I find is the best way to get everything done that you are wanting to.
Today I focused on outside. Our back yard was looking more like a dump then a welcoming patio. One project that I have been waiting for a sunny day to conquer, was staining our teak outdoor table! This has been on my to-do list since early last summer. I bought the oil stain.. and it sat on the counter all winter collecting dust. Today as the sun was shining. I knew it was now… or maybe never! I stood on the porch in a tank top staining the table and having the feeling of accomplishing something for my day! I sure love springtime.
Now on to these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies… I come up with recipes usually out of having a craving for something. Last night it was oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. So I whipped up this batch, ate a few after dinner and my craving was definitely satisfied. These round little cookies are not your typical chewy, buttery oatmeal cookies. They are moist, but crumbly and hearty. With chocolate pieces in every bite. They go perfectly paired with a glass of almond milk (Duh! how else would you eat them?) and even better in kiddies lunches. The 25 cookies that this recipe makes will be gobbled up in no time.
Delicious Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies are so healthy and delicious they won’t feel like a guilty treat if you eat 3..or 4… or even 5.
Approx. 25 Cookies
- 3 C Whole Oats
- 1.5 C Spelt Flour
- 3/4 C Coconut Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 C Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flax seeds plus 5 Tbsp Warm Water
- 1/2 C Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 3/4 C Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the ground flax seeds and warm water together in a small bowl, to form a flax egg, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour the oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt and mix to combine.
- Melt the coconut oil in a sauce pan on the stove. Once it has melted, pour it into a medium size mixing bowl with the flax egg, almond milk and vanilla. Stir well until fully combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix all the ingredients together until they are fully combined. Make sure there are no clumps or dry spots of flour.
- Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips until they are well-distributed throughout the dough.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, or lightly oil with coconut oil.
- Either scoop out, or form round cookies with your hands and place on the parchment paper cookie sheets. Leaving some space between each cookie, as they may expand as they cook.
- Bake cookies for 12-13 minutes, remove from oven and allow cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets.