Happy Valentines Day! On Friday my son had a Valentines Day party in his class and it was suggested to bring in a healthy treat. I wanted to do something festive, healthy-ish, and a treat that my boys could help me with. I was remembering as a child how much I loved making rice crispy squares with my best friends mom, (my mother would NEVER make them) it felt like an eternity waiting for them to set and be ready to eat! It’s so nice to include your children with your baking and cooking so they have those memories forever.
I had purchased these marshmallows before to make s’mores, they have the same consistency and texture as the conventional marshmallows, but are vegan. I used gluten-free rice crispy’s, coconut oil in place of butter and beet juice instead of red dye (so much better for you!!!!). My philosophy is making all the treats that my kids love and want.. but making them healthier and better for them.. making me feel better about them eating those kind of things.
Rice Crispy Hearts w/ Natural Food Colouring
These crunchy morsels of goodness will bring you right back to being a child. Every crunch of rice crispy’s will leave you wanting another bite of this sweet festive treat.
- 1 10 oz Package of Marshmallows (I used these Dandies Vegan Marshmallows)
- 4 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 6 C Rice Crispy Cereal
- 1 Medium Beet
- Wash and scrub beet, grate beet (2-3 Tbsp) on paper towel and set aside.
- Lightly oil one baking sheet with Coconut Oil and set aside.
- In a large pot, add Coconut oil and begin to melt on medium heat.
- When the coconut oil is melting, add the marshmallows to the pot, stirring until the marshmallows and oil have melted down.
- Remove from heat.
- Fold up the beet in the paper towel and squeeze over the marshmallow mixture. As you squeeze, beet juice will drip out. If not enough juice is coming out, add a few drops of water to the end of the paper towel and continue to squeeze over mixture until you get your desired pink colour. The more you squeeze out the richer the colour will be.
- Working quickly, add the rice crispy’s to the pot and stir and stir and stir.
- Once all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together, pour mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and with lightly oiled hands, firmly press down until the entire sheet is evenly covered.
- Place in fridge for 20 minutes to set.
- With a heart-shaped cookie cutter cut out rice crispy’s into heart shapes.