Granola is just one of those foods that is good for snacking on anytime during the day. There have been many-a-times that I will eat granola for dinner.
It just satisfies your belly and leaves you feeling full and nourished. When I make it.. it doesn’t last in the cupboard long… before I know it, it’s time to make a whole new batch again. I vary the add-in ingredients depending on what I have in my fridge and cupboards. We always buy trail mix by the bulk and somehow by the end of the bag, no one wants to eat any more. So I end up having a pile of 4-5 bottom of the bag nuts and seeds. When the bags start to add up I know it’s time to make a batch of granola to use them up! Granola is one of those recipes where really any flavour combination of your liking can be added. Any dried fruit, nut seed, spice, or none of that and just plain old oats and honey.
The flavourings that I ended up with was pumpkin seeds, coconut, cashews, almonds and dried cranberries. I like the chewiness of the cranberries and larger pieces of crunchy nuts all mixed in. Every bite is a flavour surprise.
Easy Trail Mix Granola
- 6 C Oats
- 2 C Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 C Ground Flax Seeds
- 1.5 C Sunflower Seeds
- 2 C Mixed Trail Mix or a Mix of Nuts and Seeds You Have in Fridge
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 C Maple Syrup
- 1 C Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/3 C Honey
- 1/3 C Water
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- Preheat Oven to 300 Degrees
- Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together.
- Melt coconut oil on the stove in a pan and while it’s melting add all the wet ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add the melted coconut oil into the small bowl and stir until all incorporated together.
- Add the Wet ingredients to the Dry and mix thoroughly until every bit of oats is coated with the wet ingredients.
- Spread evenly on a large baking sheet. You may need 2 as you don’t want the mixture to be too thick on the pan.
- Place in the oven for 40-50 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Granola should be golden brown when finished.
- Allow to cool, then store in air tight container or large glass mason jar.
NOTE: If it ends up being to wet or too dry just add in a little oats if too wet, or a splash of maple syrup if too dry.
What is your Favourite granola flavour combination?